Category Archives: Biography

Flat Lick Baptist Church Founded by John M. James

Home » Biography » Page 2

Estimated reading time: 9 minutes

John M. James, the grandfather of Frank & Jesse James, arrived on the Kentucky frontier in 1782 in the company of the Traveling Church of rebel Baptist preachers. In 1799, John donated a portion of his estate land in Pulaski County for the construction of the Flat Lick Baptist Church. John’s son, Joseph Martin James was thrown out as pastor of this church for being “talented, but erratic.” A brother-in-law of Joe, Robert McAlister, was installed as pastor. Pastor McAlister was succeeded in 1851 by John’s grandson John James, who graduated from Georgetown College in 1843 with Frank & Jesse’s father, Rev. Robert Sallee James. Flat Lick Baptist Church survives and thrives in the 21st century as a symbol of enduring faith and ministry.

Flat Lick Baptist Church, Shopville, Kentucky, after 200 years still thriving in the 21st century

1799 – The Founding of Flat Lick Baptist Church

Mother Church, Flat Lick Baptist Church


John M. James (1751-1823) was one of the founders of Flat Lick Baptist Church. This mother church of Baptist churches in central Kentucky is located outside Shopville, east of Somerset, in Pulaski County, Kentucky.

This modest church built first of logs and later of stone out of necessity on America’s first western frontier was a far cry from the James family’s first church in the New World. The ancestors of John M. James brought their Anglican beliefs to worship first at the Aquia Church in Stafford County, Virginia.

Most of his fellow founders were rebel preachers like himself. In their Virginian homeland, they were persecuted by the government and Anglican authorities for preaching without a license. The band of rebel preachers and their congregations made their exodus from Virginia in 1781 in a Traveling Church. They were bound for the Shawnee temple of New Canaan, called the Cain-tu-kee. John M. James provided the land for this mother church. The original log church was built in 1799.

John M. James recalls his exodus from Virginia among the Traveling Church of rebel preachers. He also adds his dislike of banks.

Early Pastors of Flat Lick

The first pastor at Flat Lick was James Fears, followed by Stephen Collier.

The third pastor was John’s son, the “talented, but erratic” Joseph Martin James (1791-1848). Joe was expelled from the church and defrocked for his alcoholism. Overriding his addiction was Joe’s scandal-ridden bigamous marriage with a young parishioner Permelia Estepp. The progeny of the bigamous marriage was equally ostracized by their community. Generations of those progeny were unfairly branded as “the bastard bunch.”

When Joseph Martin James was driven out, Joe’s brother-in-law, Robert McAlister (1782-1851) assumed Joe’s role as pastor. Robert was followed by Joe’s son, John James (1816-1902). John graduated in 1843 from Georgetown College with his cousin Reverend Robert Sallee James, the father of Frank & Jesse James.

List of Pastors 1799-2021

Source: Flat Lick Baptist Church, Bicentennial Celebration, 1799-1999 Program, June 26 & 27, 1999

1899 – The 100th Anniversary of Flat Lick Baptist Church

This image of the Flat Lick congregation was taken in 1899, on the 100th anniversary of Flat Lick Church.

Commemorative photo of the 100th Anniversary of Flat Lick Baptist Church in 1899. The banner image above was also taken at the same time.
Edward Perry James (1847-1931)

Kneeling center, in his white shirt and suspenders, is another son of Joseph Martin James, Edward Perry James (1847-1931).

The family of Edward Perry James occupied the stone house of Joseph Martin James when he died.

The original log structure of the Flat Lick Church was replaced in the late 1840s when Joseph Martin James was pastor. Ransom Carson supervised the enslaved servants of Rev. Joe who built the new church of stone.

At the same time, Reverend Joe had Ransom Carson and the enslaved build Joe a stone residence, which Joe then occupied on the knoll above his storehouse at Dahl Road and Flat Lick Creek.

Stone House, Shopville, Ky.
Stone House, built by the enslaved of Rev. Joseph Martin James, 1854, for him

In June of 1987, John Oliver James (1897-1987), son of Edward Perry James made a final pilgrimage to the stone of house of his grandfather Rev. Joseph Martin James, where he had grown up. Facing his expected demise, John Oliver James wanted to focus on his memories and the history of his family’s former years. A newspaper reporter, covering the event, wrote about the visit instead to highlight the kinship of John Oliver James with Frank and Jesse James.

Early Church Register

The original register of Flat Lick Church remains preserved today in a safe among the church’s archives.

Among those listed in these pages appear the names of Martha James and Rachel McAlister, the wife of Pastor Robert McAlister.

Other James family members populate the register, including one of the James family’s enslaved persons, Nutty James.

The Enslaved Among Flat Lick’s Congregation

Enslaved people were an integral part of Flat Lick’s congregation.

The policy to include enslaved people in Flat Lick’s congregation was initiated by John M. James and his son-in-law Rev. Jeremiah Vardeman. Jerry Vardeman, as he was called, is the son of Johannes Vardeman, an ax man for Daniel Boone who helped build Boone’s fort at Boonesborough. The Vardeman family first settled adjacent to the land of John M. James at Walnut Flats in today’s Lincoln County, Kentucky. John M. James later built a brick home nearby for the use of Jerry and John’s daughter Betsy.

At Flat Lick church, the Anglo men and women sat on the ground floor level. Along the center aisle, they faced one another. The enslaved stood in the loft that was constructed off the back wall of the church.

Many of those enslaved who rebuilt Flat Lick Church from log to stone construction, and who constructed under Ransom Carson a stone house for Rev. Joe Martin James, are believed to be buried in the slave section of James Cemetery, opposite Route 80 from the Vardeman Tract at James Road.

1927 – The Church Walls Collapse

In 1927, two portions of the church’s stone wall collapsed. The church was being excavated to build a basement meeting room. The collapse resulted in a fire that was extinguished.

The estimated cost to rebuild was $18,000.

It was further estimated that the existing perimeter stone walls could be stabilized if the entire structure was raised and a basement was constructed to facilitate the social meeting space.

The congregation fully restored the church to the recommendations as soon as they could.

1999 – The 200th Anniversary of Flat Lick Baptist Church

Commemorative photo of the 200th Anniversary of the Flat Lick Baptist Church in 1999

This picture of Flat Lick’s congregation was taken in 1999, following ceremonies celebrating Flat Lick’s 200th Anniversary.

On that day, the congregation heard from a descendant of John M. James. John’s 4th great-grandson Eric F. James recounted the James family’s historical association with the Church, as Eric stood at the very lectern from which his ancestors preached 200 years ago.

Also attending the centennial celebration were former pastors still living of Flat Lick Church.

From a large number of churches that were spawned from this church throughout central Kentucky, and as far as Tennessee, Missouri, and Texas, Flat Lick gained its reputation for being a mother church.

Flat Lick Baptist Church proceeds confidently into the 21st century, fully functioning and operational.

Flat Lick Baptist Church on YouTube

When the Covid-19 Pandemic struck in 2020, Flat Lick Baptist Church began to video and broadcast church services to its congregation who were sheltering in place at home. The innovation was initiated by Pastor Brother Gerald Ashley, who was planning to retire at this time. As it worked out, Flat Lick’s YouTube channel increased church attendance and participation. The channel also became an effective media tool for presenting guest ministers, one of whom soon will succeed Brother Ashley s pastor.

The church also now maintains a page on Facebook.

Brother Gerald Ashley, retiring pastor of Flat Lick Baptist Church, 2021

Commemorative History Book

To commemorate the 200th Anniversary of Flat Lick Baptist Church, this book was published, documenting the church’s history. Copies may be purchased by writing directly to the church.

ADDRESS: 144 Flat Lick Rd, Somerset, KY 42503

PHONE: (606) 875-6436


Cover for Stray Leaves Daily
360
Stray Leaves Daily

Stray Leaves Daily

The official website for the family & friends of Frank & Jesse James with stories, photos, & two searchable genealogy databases.

Comments Box SVG iconsUsed for the like, share, comment, and reaction icons
1 week ago
Stray Leaves Daily

WELL, PULL MY TEETH! Dr. Timothy Michael Huckabee & staff wear Huckabee Dental’s own brand of dental scrubs in Southlake, TX. Dr. Tim is a 4th great-grandson of Rev. Joseph Martin James & Rhoda May, and a 3rd great-grandson of Cyrenius Wait James & Amanda Hall. That’s how his James genes from Pulaski Co KY took root in TX. Dr. Tim’s grandmother is Anna Ruth James-Wingo. With her degree in journalism, Anna later studied at Cambridge University in England. Back home, she was an officer in the Parent Teachers Association, a charter member of the Wills Point Historical Society, special correspondent to the Dallas Morning News, and was chosen Woman of the Year by the Rotary Anns in 1976. The Wills Point High School named the Wingo Library in honor of her and her husband David Stimson Wingo in 1998. Anna wrote books for her grandchildren and a legacy of memory stories for the James family titled “Roots and Wings”. Dr. Tim is also a 3rd cousin of Frank & Jesse James. When requesting services, be sure to ask him for "the outlaw discount." See MoreSee Less

2 weeks ago
Stray Leaves Daily

JESSE JAMES & JIM YOUNGER? Stray Leaves responded to this submission, saying, "Following the recent 6-year fiasco of a tintype image and its claims, wanna-be images keep on coming our way, as you surmise. They add to the hundreds already on file with the James Preservation Trust. While you may see ‘a passing resemblance,’ our experience takes us way past any such consideration. However, old tintypes are always fun to see. Thank you. See MoreSee Less

JESSE JAMES & JIM YOUNGER? Stray Leaves responded to this submission, saying, Following the recent 6-year fiasco of a tintype image and its claims, wanna-be images keep on coming our way, as you surmise. They add to the hundreds already on file with the James Preservation Trust. While you may see a passing resemblance, our experience takes us way past any such consideration. However, old tintypes are always fun to see. Thank you.
3 weeks ago
Stray Leaves Daily

Go behind-the-scenes look at the making of the movie Te Ata, now viewable on Netflix. Te Ata is a famed Chickasaw storyteller who is the 3rd great-granddaughter of our Susannah James & Chickasaw Chief James Holmes Colbert and 4th great-granddaughter of our family’s Benjamin James Esq., the Indian Trader, and his Choctaw wife.

Chickasaw.tv | April 1, 2018 – Te Ata Behind the Scenes, Part 1
Go behind the scenes of the feature film Te Ata, an account of the life of the iconic Chickasaw storyteller.
See MoreSee Less

Comment on Facebook

Load MORE